I’ve used a type of “verse mapping” when I’ve studied the Bible, but have called it many different things.
When it’s simplified, the term is Bible study.
I had downloaded the template for the Verse Mapping method by Kristy Cambron, so I was more than intrigued by the Verse Mapping Bible that she created.
First, I’ll share a description of the Bible, and the different components. Then I’ll wrap it up with my personal thoughts AND a link to a giveaway!
Verse mapping means getting real about studying the Bible. More than simply reading a verse or Scripture passage, verse mapping uses Bible study tools to research what you’ve read—to learn about what God is saying and how you can apply his Word to your life. The NIV Verse Mapping Bible includes 350 partially completed verse maps to get you started.
Go beyond just reading the Bible.
Verse mapping means getting real about studying the Bible. More than simply reading a verse or Scripture passage, verse mapping means using Bible study tools to research what you’ve just read in the Bible—to learn more about what God is saying to you and how you can apply his Word to your life today.
In the NIV Verse Mapping Bible, author Kristy Cambron expands her verse mapping curriculum series to include verses from the entire Bible, showing you how to compare Bible translations, pick out meaningful words, and delve into the true meaning of each verse using starter verse maps and prompts. Verse mapping will help you study the historical context, transliteration, translation, connotation, and theological framework of a verse. This unique study technique includes exploring Hebrew and Greek word studies, finding connections in Scripture, comparing Bible translations, and learning as much as you can from your time in God’s Word.
Verse mapping involves five steps:
- Choose: Select a verse and write it out.
- Compare: Record this verse in two or three other Bible translations and underline key words that are the same or different between translations.
- Research: Look up the Hebrew or Greek meaning for the underlined words and record it.
- Consider: Ask questions of the verse. Imagine what it would be like to have experienced what’s happening. Read the verses surrounding this verse and use other study tools to dig even deeper, if you prefer.
- Apply: What is God saying to you? How does this verse relate to your life today?
Things I really like about the Verse Mapping Bible:
- I love the care and time that Kristy Cambron (and her team) took in bringing such depth of content in each verse that is mapped throughout the whole Bible.
This gave an ample amount of examples on how to study the Bible.
- I’m a stickler for visual appeal when it comes to anything that I read, but especially my Bibles.
The teal color and font selection for the books of the Bible and Verse Mapped pages aren’t too overwhelming, but a pretty attention grabber.
- I am a huge fan of space in the margins to take additional notes. The Verse Mapping Bible offers that.
- The pens and highlighters that I use on the pages of the Bible show through the other side just a tad, but not too much to not use them.
There is only a couple of things that I’m not a fan of and I know that this is totally about preference.
- The format is double column; which for me, makes my eyes strain; which brings me to the second point,
- the definition of “comfort print” means that it’s an 8pt font size. Comfort print for me would mean at least a 9.5+ font size.
Overall, I like the Bible and I’m glad for the time invested in making this a great Bible STUDY Bible.
This is certainly a “sit-and-take-your-time” kind of Bible. I probably won’t use it as a take-to-church Bible, but it’ll be a great addition to at home study.
If you’d like more space to write or need extra blank Verse Mapping pages, I highly recommend purchasing the Verse Mapping Bible Study Journal.
There are several Verse Mapping Bible cover styles and types available to purchase if the Gray Cloth over Board (like I received) isn’t your speed.
Also, Blessed Freebies is offering a chance to WIN a copy of the Verse Mapping Bible! Click the button below. (Winner will be selected on 03/10/2021)
Living to Worship Him,